What is Respect Life Month?
Begun in 1972, the Respect Life Program stresses the value and dignity of human life. It is observed in Catholic dioceses throughout the United States. The month of October is dedicated to increasing a greater culture of life through the areas of public information & education, pastoral care, public policy, and prayer.
What is Respect Life Ministry?
Each parish in the diocese of St. Augustine has a volunteer who coordinates Respect Life Ministry. This ministry looks a bit different in each parish, because each parish has unique needs, but the aim is to build a greater culture of life and bring the faithful to a greater understanding of the dignity of human life.
To get involved in respect life ministry at your parish, contact your front office to ask them who your Parish Respect Life Coordinator is and how to get involved.
How can I participate in Respect Life Month?(List will be updated throughout the month)
40 Days for Life | Sept 28 – Nov 6
- From September 28 to November 6, our community will unite with many others from coast to coast – and internationally – for a major simultaneous pro-life mobilization – the 40 Days for Life campaign. Detailed information can be found here
- Jacksonville (40daysforlife.com/jacksonville)
- Gainesville (40daysforlife.com/gainesville)
Florida Respect Life Conference | October 14 – 15
- The 2016 State Respect Life Conference will be held in Orlando, FL.
- Visit the Diocese of Orlando website for conference schedule, speaker information and link to register.
- For more information, contact Kelly Santalla at 407-658-1818 x1086 or email@example.com.
Life Chain | Sunday, October 2, 2016
- The Annual Life Chain was a great success in 2016, with 19 locations across the Diocese of St. Augustine.
- This year this event will be on Sunday, October 2. For a list of locations click here.
- Visit the Life Chain website for detailed information on this event.
Each parish has different activities and events planned for Respect Life Month. To find out what is planned at your parish, visit your parish website, check your parish bulletin or call your parish office.
Respect for Life in End of Life Decision Making – Father Leonard Chuwa, the System Director of Formation and Ethics at St. Vincent’s Hospital in Jacksonville, will give a presentation on bioethics and end of life issues on October 6 from 6:30-8:30pm at the Parish Life Center at Holy Faith Catholic Church in Gainesville. This presentation will explore Catholic teaching on the dignity of life at its final stages.
(updated throughout the month)
Educational Pamphlets from the USCCB Respect Life Program
USCCB Respect Life Program Theme
Links to 2015-2016 USCCB Respect Life Program materials
New materials will be uploaded when available.
All materials can be found at www.usccb.org/respectlife
- USCCB Respect Life Program Theme
- Cardinal O’Malley’s Respect Life Month Statement
- Intercessions for Life
- Educational Pamphlets
2017 Respect Life Calendar
Every January, children from Catholics schools, home school associations, and religious education programs in the Diocese of St. Augustine participate in the annual Respect Life Contest. The children are asked to create artwork that best illustrates the theme of the USCCB’s annual Respect Life Program. Last year’s theme was “Each of us is a masterpiece of God’s creation.”
This 11” x 17” wall calendar from the Diocesan Center for Family Life showcases a piece of artwork each month and contains dates for Respect Life activities in the diocese for calendar year 2017.
This calendar will only be available for a limited time so be sure to get your copy now! The proceeds help support the Respect Life office of the Diocese.